Re: ReiserFS / 2.4.6 / Data Corruption

From: Matthew Gardiner (kiwiunixman@yahoo.co.nz)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 08:45:00 EST

On Saturday 28 July 2001 02:55, Hans Reiser wrote:
> Joshua Schmidlkofer wrote:
> > I've almost quit using reiser, because everytime I have a power outage,
> > the last 2 or three files that I've editted, even ones that I haven't
> > touched in a while, will usually be hopelessly corrupted. The '<file>~'
> > that Emacs makes is usually fine though. It seems to be that any open
> > file is in danger. I don't know if this is normal, or not, but I
> > switched to XFS on several machines. I have nothing against reiser. I
> > assumed that these problems were due to immaturity....
> >
> > One more thing - All my computers with Reiser as '/' on them had a
> > disturbingly long boot time. From the time when the Redhat startup
> > scripts began, it was.... hideously slow. I thought nothing of it,
> > blaming bash,
>
> Don't use RedHat with ReiserFS, they screw things up so many ways.....
>
> For instance, they compile it with the wrong options set, their boot
> scripts are wrong, they just shovel software onto the CD.
>
> Use SuSE, and trust me, ReiserFS will boot faster than ext2.
>
> Actually, I am curious as to exactly how they manage to make ReiserFS boot
> longer than ext2. Do they run fsck or what?
>
> Hans

Regards to the ReiserFS. Something more spookie, OpenLinux (no boos and
hisses please ;) ), they have ReiserFS as a module, yet, when I have the root
partition as reiser I have no problems, voo doo magic perhaps? because when I
compiled 2.4.7 w/ ReiserFS as a module, the boot forks up.

Regarding the last comment, I think Redhat and Caldera have debugging enable
(God knows why?), well, Caldera definately dones, after having a look at
their default kernel configuration, hence, when I recompiled my kernel to
2.4.7, threw the reiserFS into the guts of the kernel with debugging turned
off, there was a speed increase.

Also, to speed it up, I have heard a urban myth (I am not too sure whether it
is true), you add the tag notail. A little more disk space is used, however,
apparently, it is meant to speed up access.

Matthew Gardiner

--
WARNING:

This email was written on an OS using the viral 'GPL' as its license.

Please check with Bill Gates before continuing to read this email/posting.