Re: ReiserFS / 2.4.6 / Data Corruption

From: Hans Reiser (reiser@namesys.com)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 09:55:09 EST

Joshua Schmidlkofer wrote:

> I've almost quit using reiser, because everytime I have a power outage, the
> last 2 or three files that I've editted, even ones that I haven't touched in
> a while, will usually be hopelessly corrupted. The '<file>~' that Emacs
> makes is usually fine though. It seems to be that any open file is
> in danger. I don't know if this is normal, or not, but I switched to XFS on
> several machines. I have nothing against reiser. I assumed that these
> problems were due to immaturity....
>
> One more thing - All my computers with Reiser as '/' on them had a
> disturbingly long boot time. From the time when the Redhat startup scripts
> began, it was.... hideously slow. I thought nothing of it, blaming bash,

Don't use RedHat with ReiserFS, they screw things up so many ways.....

For instance, they compile it with the wrong options set, their boot scripts are wrong, they just
shovel software onto the CD.

Use SuSE, and trust me, ReiserFS will boot faster than ext2.

Actually, I am curious as to exactly how they manage to make ReiserFS boot longer than ext2. Do
they run fsck or what?

Hans