Re: ReiserFS / 2.4.6 / Data Corruption

From: Marcus Meissner (mm@ns.caldera.de)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 11:45:09 EST

In article <01072901450000.02683@kiwiunixman.nodomain.nowhere> you wrote:
> Regards to the ReiserFS. Something more spookie, OpenLinux (no boos and
> hisses please ;) ), they have ReiserFS as a module, yet, when I have the root
> partition as reiser I have no problems, voo doo magic perhaps? because when I
> compiled 2.4.7 w/ ReiserFS as a module, the boot forks up.

We have the reiserfs module in the initial ramdisk in such setups.

You need to recreate the initrd in those cases.
(Run "/usr/libexec/modules/mkinitrd.sh 2.4.7" in the /boot directory, this
 will create /boot/initrd-2.4.7.gz.)

> Regarding the last comment, I think Redhat and Caldera have debugging enable
> (God knows why?), well, Caldera definately dones, after having a look at
> their default kernel configuration, hence, when I recompiled my kernel to
> 2.4.7, threw the reiserFS into the guts of the kernel with debugging turned
> off, there was a speed increase.

ReiserFS is experimental in the 2.4 series, thats why we ship with a big
disclaimer and with checking enabled.

(And before you argue again, we ship 2.4.2-ac26. Since then several major
 bugs have been found in reiserfs, including the knfsd lossage.)

Ciao, Marcus