Re: ReiserFS / 2.4.6 / Data Corruption

From: Christoph Hellwig (hch@ns.caldera.de)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 11:45:10 EST

Hi Matthew,

In article <01072901450000.02683@kiwiunixman.nodomain.nowhere> you wrote:
> Regards to the ReiserFS. Something more spookie, OpenLinux (no boos and
> hisses please ;) ), they have ReiserFS as a module, yet, when I have the root
> partition as reiser I have no problems, voo doo magic perhaps? because when I
> compiled 2.4.7 w/ ReiserFS as a module, the boot forks up.

Well, as reiserfs is a module it needs to be on the initrd. The install
of the kernel kernel RPM automatically creates a new initrd which includes
the modules in /etc/modules/rootfs. If you don't create a new initrd your
modular reiserfs setup will of course fail.

> Regarding the last comment, I think Redhat and Caldera have debugging enable
> (God knows why?), well, Caldera definately dones, after having a look at
> their default kernel configuration, hence, when I recompiled my kernel to
> 2.4.7, threw the reiserFS into the guts of the kernel with debugging turned
> off, there was a speed increase.

Reiserfs as implemented in the 2.4.2-based kernel of OpenLinux 3.1 is
everything but stable and has a lot of issues (e.g. NFS-exporting doesn't
work). That is the reason why it is a) marked experimental and is completly
unsupported (and that is written _big_ _fat_ in manuals and similar stuff)
and b) has debugging enabled to have the additional sanity checks that are
under this option and give addtional hints if reiserfs fails again.

        Christoph