page coloruing tutorial questions [Re: Page coloring HOWTO [ans]]

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 19:58:21 +0100 (CET)

I am going to ask some question in order to learn something about page
coloring (I know nothing about it).

If somebody has some pointer where I can read C code or docs about page
colouring I am very interested.

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, Richard Gooch wrote:

> I assume you mean those programmes which are slowed down by page
> colouring have a silly access pattern which results in cache line
> aliasing? They only ran faster without page colouring because random

What does it mean "cache line aliasing"?

And what does it mean that a page is coloured or not?

What is the point of page colouring? Do you want to avoid TLB misses or is
only a L1/L2 cache issue? (or both?)

Reply me only if you have some time to waste of course ;).

Thanks.

Andrea Arcangeli