Re: Unicode console patch

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 14:03:02 -0500 (EST)

Stanislav V. Voronyi writes:
> In message <790f3b$3le$1@palladium.transmeta.com> H. Peter Anvin writes:
>> By author: "Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk" <qrczak@knm.org.pl>

>> Please don't extend TIOCLINUX. It was a bad mistake to begin with,
>> and furthermore, we're trying to move away from ioctl()s (ioctl()s
>> were used because most changes affected *all* consoles. Per-console
>> changes should be done with escape codes.)

There must be a reasonable way for getty to reset the console to a state
defined by the admin. That includes fonts, translation tables and keymaps.
Secure login is important.

>> I'm working on a completely new console spec that is ISO
>> 2022-compliant (the current console isn't, and cannot be made to be.)

What about scrolling? We have a fairly basic bug that vttest exposes.
IMHO it is more important to make Linux 2.2 vt100 compatible.

(start the latest vttest in 80x25.80 mode and test "screen accordian")