Re: proper place to discuss kernel 'bloatedness'?

Lars G. T. Joergensen (larsj@diku.dk)
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 19:49:23 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, Matti Aarnio wrote:

> "Lars G. T. Joergensen" <larsj@diku.dk> wonders:
> > Couldn't the kernel be split up into a server kernel and workstation
> > kernel?
>
> Ok, what the Workstation won't need ?
> And what the server would need ?
>
> At least in my case the only difference is what kind
> of display card is used, and that does not affect the
> kernel configuration a bit... (I don't use fbcon..)
>
> [/usr/src/linux]$ du -ks *|sort -rn
> 27993 drivers
> $ du -ks drivers/*|sort -rn
> 7744 drivers/net
> 6815 drivers/scsi
> 3412 drivers/char
> 2144 drivers/video
> 1890 drivers/sound
> 1583 drivers/isdn
> 1582 drivers/block
> 783 drivers/cdrom
> 8655 arch
> 832 arch/alpha
> 436 arch/arm
> 1021 arch/i386
> 1927 arch/m68k
> 780 arch/mips
> 1122 arch/ppc
> 1278 arch/sparc
> 1258 arch/sparc64
> 6298 include
> 2028 include/linux
> 667 include/asm-sparc
> 589 include/asm-sparc64
> 558 include/asm-mips
> 478 include/asm-arm
> 426 include/net
> 420 include/asm-alpha
> 406 include/asm-m68k
> 359 include/asm-ppc
> 297 include/asm-i386
> 3959 net
> 1040 net/ipv4
> 686 net/irda
> 383 net/ipv6
> 248 net/802
> 224 net/sched
> 3945 fs
> 547 fs/hfs
> 502 fs/nls
> 178 fs/nfsd
> 174 fs/ufs
> 170 fs/ext2
> 2401 Documentation
> 355 scripts
> 258 mm
> 253 kernel
>

> You could get it smaller by constructing packages according
> to the configuration you want, without anything else.
> However that requires feeding the configuration to some
> pre-packing engine which then selects correct bits for the
> constructed package which you could then download (in real
> time ?)
>
> But how do you generate that configuration, and where do
> you feed it, and what happens then ? How does it handle
> multiple base architectures ?
>
> If you can answer to these questions, you propably are done
> at least the planning phase for the service.

Nice project :)

Make a website that looks like the Linux config. When done push the src
into a tar-ball that can be downloaded. There are only a limited amount of
combinations in the config.. so.. it's a finit task.. anyone?