Re: 2.6.2-rc2-bk1 oopses on boot (ACPI patch)

From: Alessandro Suardi
Date: Tue Jan 27 2004 - 22:49:16 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Alessandro Suardi wrote:

Already reported, but I'll do so once again, since it looks like
in a short while I won't be able to boot official kernels in my
current config...

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0312.3/0442.html

Can you make adjust_jiffies() print out its arguments (it's in drivers/cpufreq/cpufreq.c).

It looks like cpufreq_scale() gets a divide-by-zero or an overflow on one of

l_p_j_ref, l_p_j_ref_freq, ci->new

and just printing out those values would be interesting.

Assuming the late hour (hmm, early by now) hasn't crossed my
eyes entirely the three above entities are %lu, %u, %u... so
this line

printk("CPUFREQ DEBUG: [%lu] [%u] [%u]\n", l_p_j_ref, l_p_j_ref_freq, ci->new);

as both first and last instruction in adjust_jiffies() turns
up the same values, which are 1773568, 1, 0.

Side-note, since master penguin is looking... after the oops
all SysRq stuff keeps working - except Alt-SysRq-B; the atkbd.c
code tells me the keyboard says "too many keys pressed". K, T,
P just do their job fine.
(yeah, okay, Alt-SysRq-O prints Power Off but obviously doesn't).

Thanks,

--alessandro

"Two rivers run too deep
The seasons change and so do I"