Re: [2.0.40-rc8] Works well

From: David Weinehall
Date: Tue Jan 27 2004 - 22:39:09 EST

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 03:28:30AM +0000, Coywolf Qi Hunt wrote:
> Markus Hästbacka wrote:
>
> >Hey David,
> >I just mail to tell you that 2.0.40-rc8 seems to work really well, no
> >problems compiling (except a few warnings :) and absolutely no problem
> >running. Great work!
> >
> > Markus
> >

> Hello all 2.0 hackers,

There aren't a lot, I suspect you can count us using one hand
nowadays...

> Recently I just have such an idea that is to port the 2.0.39 to let it
> be compiled with my gcc 2.95.4 or any
> other latest gcc. At the same time, also make it remain compliant to
> gcc 2.7.2.1. ( I can't find 2.7.2.1, only 2.7.2.3
> on the ftp) Is this work worth while?

Well, for sure it's quite a demanding task, since, if I remember
correctly, the module-code uses some nasty internal gcc-knowledge to
generate code, that simply doesn't work with later versions of gcc.
It might be that I remember this incorrectly though.

It would be interesting, yes, but only if it can be proved to some
degree that no new bugs are introduced.

My aim for 2.0.41 is to make it a cleanup-release; remove warnings, tidy
up a little source-code mess, kill dead code, fix typos etc.

Regards: David Weinehall
--
/) David Weinehall <tao@xxxxxxxxxx> /) Northern lights wander (\
// Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel // Dance across the winter sky //