Re: RFC: Trailing blanks in source files

From: jw schultz
Date: Tue Jan 27 2004 - 22:51:12 EST

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 04:02:14PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> "Randy.Dunlap" <rddunlap@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > So please don't bother with just whitespace changes unless you
> > are going to cleanup a <driver | fs | module | etc> completely.
>
> And if you're going to do that, do the whitespace cleanup _first_, so the
> substantive changes to the driver/fs/module/etc can be sanely understood
> and reverted if necessary.
>
> I frequently sneakily remove all newly-added trailing whitespace from the
> patches people send me. In 15 years it'll all be gone.

This would maybe warrant a bk option to remove trailing
whitespace from modified lines. Preferably with an
notification that it is happening so if for some reason you
do want trailing whitespace you could abort or override.

A patch filter that removed trailing whitespace from + lines
could also be used.