Re: How to access each packet sent to the network

From: Mike Galbraith (mikeg@weiden.de)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 16:04:57 EST

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, Aamir Shaikh wrote:

> Hi,
> I need to access each and every packet that my host is sending out on the network. For this I need to know which function and file is used by the network device driver before it sends the packet to the wire. I need to put some delay into this code so that the sending of packets is delayed somehow. I'm using Linux redhat 6.1 kernel version 2.2.12-20.

Hi,

I would suggest that you grab IKD and use ktracer to see which
functions are being called when you do this and that. This can
be very educational indeed. (a mondo ktrace in one vt, source
in a few others.. life doesn't get much better than that;) Once
you find the spots you're interested in, you can do anything you
want with a little 'C' and an imagination.

> Any kernel hackers around here ??

Nobody here but us chi^Wpenguins ;-)

        -Mike