Re: SMP+ne.o+reiserfs=freeze?

From: Ville Herva (vherva@niksula.hut.fi)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 03:02:47 EST

On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 12:21:52AM +0200, you [Joakim Recht] claimed:
> Hi
>
> I recently upgraded to a ABIT BP6 board with dual 466MHz celerons, and
> after that I've experienced frequent freezes in 2.2.14 and 2.2.15. I'm
> using ReiserFS on most of my partitions, but even though I don't mount
> them, the computer freezes anyways.
> There has been quite a lot of 'stuck on TLP IPI wait (CPU#0|1)'s, but
> after patching the 2.2.14 kernel to 2.2.15pre19, most of them has
> disappeared. This had no effect on the freezing, however, so I tried
> replacing my (very) old ne2k compatible nic (using ne.o) with a newer
> rtl8139 card, because I had noticed that sometimes the machine froze
> when using the network.
> And after doing that, I haven't had a single freeze, or any other
> problem... Now I'm just courious if this is a known problem, or if it's
> even caused by any of these things? Unfortunately I can't quite say if
> the freezes started when I converted to ReiserFS or when I upgraded to a
> dual processor system, as it happened almost at the same time.

What you are seeing is propably in no way related to kernel or it's
patches. The BP6 is just plain buggy. Join the crowd, we have an entire
mailing list deticated to the Famous Abit BP6 Lock-up (tm). Email
majordomo@geek.net with the command "subscribe linux-abit", archives are
at linux-abit@listserv.geek.net/">http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-abit@listserv.geek.net/.

A huge number of people see these lock-ups, with a great variety of
kernels and operating systems (not just Linux). Upgrading the BIOS to QQ
beta2 (which I hear is better than QQ final) helped many, but not me.
There have been huge threads speculating the possible reason, the latest
guess seems to be that a batch of BP6's have voltage regulation problem
(VID reading varying more than +-0.03V). We still don't know if this can
be fixed with bios.

Shame. Otherwise such a nice and affordable board...

-- v --

v@iki.fi