Re: kmsgdump not SMP-safe ?

From: willy tarreau (wtarreau@yahoo.fr)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 01:44:36 EST

> Well, here I was trying to test kmsgdump with:
>
> #include <linux/module.h>
>
> void init_module()
> {
> panic("Forced panic");
> }
>
> void cleanup_modules()
> {
> }
>
> which was insmod'ed.

.../...
> That's really bad, kmsg was the only way I know how
> to catch oopses
> and lockups under X.

well, I'll try to take a look at it this evening. Your
code is to simplistic that it should work. I'll only
be able to test it on UP, but if it doesn't even work
then there may be a big problem in my code. I'll
probably send you some code to test in this case.

BTW, when you're under X, it s possible that the bios
doesn't reinitialize the display correctly and that
you
don't see what you're doing. But you would know you're
under kmsgdump because you'd hear a short beep every
3 seconds if you don't type on the keyboard. In this
case, you can insert a formated blank floppy and press
'D'. Three short beeps will tell you that the dump is
OK. Then press 'B' to reboot.

Willy