Re: EXT2 and BadBlock updating.....

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 01:46:06 EST

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Even if ext2fs (or ext3fs or Reiser or whatever) doesn't address the bad block
> > problem ideally, we still have viable options. Even on-the-fly bad block
> > detection and relocation of data cannot save data that's gone.
>
> IDE does it for you most of the time. You can also check the SMART data
> from newer drives and sometimes it will actually give you advanced warning
> your disk is about to turn into a 7200 rpm junkyard

Speaking of SMART, I am in the process of adding full kernel support for
ATA and extenstion to allow mode paging and other SCSI issues to be
handled through procfs and sysctrl. This includes tests, reports in HUMAN
format, and logging features both provided by SMART and me.

The only catch is I HATE WRITING PROCFS INTERFACES, but find them handy as
a way of scripting management tools ;-)........

If their is anyone that enjoys writing procfs interfaces and other methods
of self inflicted personal torcher........please raise your address.
I am going insane........

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy