Re: Is it possible to replace the TCP/IP stack with my own?

Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 01:36:18 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Latham, Steve wrote:

>I'm trying to determine if it is possible to replace the stack with my own
>versus co-exist? Any feedback would be appreciated!
>Steve

Sure. Why wouldn't you be able to replace any component at all
or subsystem of the Linux kernel?

I can't see how they could co-exist in a single monolithic kernel
however. If TCP/IP were available as a module you could unload
it, and load your module. I can't remember if the TCP/IP stack
is modular, and can't visualize why one would want it modular
other than perhaps for development.

Or do you mean both coexisting in the same source tree, with
different filenames, or dir names? I would think that they would
have namespace problems if used simulataneously if that is even
possible (which I doubt).

Why would you want to use an alternate stack? Or is it a
derivative of the existing stack?

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Join the FreeMWare project - the goal to produce a FREE program in which you can run Windows 95/98/NT, and other operating systems.

http://www.freemware.org