Re: Telephone Interface Card

Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 01:39:43 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, ramudu wrote:

>I would like to know whether there are any "Telephone Interface Cards"
>available that support Linux. We are in the process of developing an
>interactive mail reader and an interactive voice respone system, for which
>we require an Telephone Interface Card. Ideally, at the outset, we would
>like to dial to a telephone(PSTN) from our Linux Server and play out an
>message(wav file). In addition, the Telephone Interface Card, should also
>be capable of detecting DTMF signals. This is required for making the
>application interactive.
>
>>From the information I could gather, all the Telephone Interface cards
>available in the market support Windows(or Unix,Solaris), but not
>Linux.
>
>Has anyone used any "Telphone Interface card" successfully with Linux ?
>
>Expecting a reply.

Any card at all that has specs available, would be easy to
program, either directly with port writes, or by writing a simple
driver for. If specs are not available though, running it in
DOSemu or with a breakout box of some kind should yield very
simple to decode (reverse engineer) hardware. Any DTMF card
AFAICS is a fairly simple device. I can't imagine it using any
more than a few ports that are easy to determine, especially with
DOSEMU.

Please let me know what you find out about this, including
hardware, specs, and software.

Thanks, and good luck!
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Join the FreeMWare project - the goal to produce a FREE program in which you can run Windows 95/98/NT, and other operating systems.

http://www.freemware.org