2.3.28-K4 - now hands out memory below 16M - fixed.

William Stearns (wstearns@pobox.com)
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 09:22:12 -0500 (EST)

Good day, Ingo,

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, William Stearns wrote:
>
> > if (size & ((1 << MAX_ORDER)-1))
> > BUG();
>
> does it boot if you remove these two lines?
>
> this BUG() means that your memory size is not a multiple of 2MB (this isnt
> a problem, but i have a pending bug that breaks kernels which are on
> uneven MB.) you can force a different memory size via eg. 'mem=24m'.

*smile*
That was it. I used mem=40M and it came up just fine.
The system _is_ handing out the lower 15M now with K4 - my
original problem is fixed.
Just for grins, I tried mem=38M and the same BUG in
page_alloc.c:505 came up; perhaps the memory has to be a multiple of 4M?
For reference, here is the memory size reported by an earlier
kernel (2.3.28 unpatched, I think):
totalpages: 00002830
Memory: 38668k/41152k available (0k kernel code, 0k reserved, 0k data, 0k
init, 0k highmem)

With the current 2.3.28+2.3.28-K4:
Linux version 2.3.28 (root@sparrow.websense.net) (gcc version egcs-2.91.66
19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)) #8 Wed Nov 17 21:
41:57 EST 1999
totalpages: 00002800
zone(0): 4096 pages.
zone(1): 6144 pages.
zone(2): 0 pages.
Initializing CPU#0
Detected 90208196 Hz processor.
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
Calibrating delay loop... 35.94 BogoMIPS
simple RAM-test ... passed.
Memory: 38388k/40960k available (933k kernel code, 2184k reserved, 77k
data, 60k init, 0k highmem)

I take it those 30 pages will no longer be available?
Thanks again for all your work. Thanks also to Alan for his quick
spotting.
Cheers,
- Bill

I'll carry your books, I'll carry a tune, I'll carry on, carry over,
carry forward, Cary Grant, cash & carry, Carry Me Back To Old Virginia,
I'll even Hara Kari if you show me how, but I will *not* carry a gun.
-- Hawkeye, M*A*S*H
(Courtesy of Richard Bouska <Richard@Bouska.cz>)