Re: updating the RTC automagically

Riley Williams (rhw@MemAlpha.CX)
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 14:17:24 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Ulrich.

>>> I investigated what would be needed to set the RTC when the
>>> system time changes. First the inverse function for mktime() is
>>> needed (i.e. convert UNIX time to days, hours, months, etc.)
>>> Then the function to set the RTC would have to be extended to
>>> set _all_ the values, not just minute and second.

>>> Should I take the date conversion routine from the C library
>>> (i.e. copy the code)?

>> Are you proposing to put this facility in the kernel? There's
>> already a perfectly good userspace program to do that - take a
>> peek at `man hwclock` for details.

> A real UNIX system can also set the clock.

Define "A real UNIX" for me, as you obviously mean something different
to what I understand it to be - or, for that matter, what the authors
of the various different UNIX clones I've used in my 20 years as a
programmer understand it to be.

>>> I'm not subscribed here, but I'd like to be CC:'d for replies...

>> There are quite a few people don't bother replying to mailing
>> list postings that state the poster isn't subscribed to the
>> list, on the basis of "if (s)he can't be bother to subscribe, I
>> can't be bothered to reply"...

> Getting 200 messages per day is not an option if it's not your
> fulltime job.

{Shrug} It's not my fulltime job, but I quite happily handle the full
linux-kernel feed, together with several other mailing lists - my
mailbox averages somewhere between 500 and 700 new messages a day.

However, that's beside the point: My comment was simply to explain why
the author might not get as many replies as they might expect, and was
NOT a criticism of any sort.

It happens to be fact that such happens, as is the fact that some
people have spam filters that kill any mail containing the word
"subscribe" because of the number of such messages that reach the
various mailing lists instead of majordomo or listserv or whatever.
As a result, such people would not have even seen that message in
the first place.

Best wishes from Riley.

PS: The kernel versions page is now back online at the URL below, and
includes separate sublists both for each kernel series, and for
each year of development.