Re: Kernel 2.2.12 freezes, 2.2.6 runs fine

Stephen D. WIlliams (sdw@lig.net)
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 00:42:46 +0000

My lockup problems for 2.2.12pre6 are on Celeron 433 systems while my PII 266
laptop has been running without flaw despite kernel compiles, heavy
X/Netscape/Java/StarOffice and VMWare use.

I thought it might be a problem with SCSI since of course my laptop is IDE.
I did have SMP/MTRR on, pentium pro configured. Falling back to no SMP, no
MTRR, Pentium, 2.2.12pre11.

That's a few hits on Celeron, but also K6.

sdw

Nils Faerber wrote:

> Hello all!
> I have a problem with a lately purchased notebook running kernel 2.2.12. The
> machine just freezes at random times, sometimes right after boot, sometimes
> after half a day. This does not happen with 2.2.5 and 2.2.6 (as far as I can
> say now). I test through all kernels up to 2.2.11 and report about it later.
> The problem is that this fault seems to happen at random and cannot be
> forced so the test takes some time.
> I also tried man different kernel options (+- means test with and without):
> -+ IDE UDMA
> -+ APM
> -+ MTRR support
> -+ SMP (silly for notebook, I know ;)
>
> As far as I can tell all this did not make any difference. I also tried to
> compile the kernel not for PPro but rather for 486 (kernel config option)
> but this did not help either.
> The machine's hardware is the following:
> - Intel Mobile Celeron 300MHz
> - Intel BX chipset
> - 64MB RAM (100MHz 3.3V)
> - 6GB UDMA33 harddisk
> - ATI Rage LT Pro AGP graphics
>
> Interestingly a friend of mine has the some problems. Also Celeron 300,
> Intel BX chipset, but a desktop dual CPU SMP machine. He also uses UDMA IDE.
> And another one, also Intel BX and Celeron 300 and UDMA IDE, does not suffer
> from this.
> Too bad ... but just as a little compliment: 2.2.12 runs rock solid on my
> 164SX Alpha workstation at home... so I think this problem is x86 related.
>
> Anyway, I hope this report helps identifying the problem.
> CU
> nils
>
> PS: I am not subscribed to the kernel list so if you want to answer to me
> please do so by personal email...
>
> --
> Nils Faerber (Linux Nils) eMail: nils@unix-ag.org
> Student of computer science http://www.si.unix-ag.org/~nils/
> Unix user group, University of Siegen, Germany
>
> Siegen ... the arctic rain forest!
> --
>
> -

OptimaLogic - Finding Optimal Solutions     Web/Crypto/OO/Unix/Comm/Video/DBMS
sdw@lig.net   Stephen D. Williams  Senior Consultant/Architect   http://sdw.st
43392 Wayside Cir,Ashburn,VA 20147-4622 703-724-0118W 703-995-0407Fax 5Jan1999