Re: knfsd 1.5 is released

Neil Brown (neilb@cse.unsw.edu.au)
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 11:31:16 +1000 (EST)

On Thursday September 23, hjl@varesearch.com wrote:

> > Hi,
> > I am writing to you because you seem to be the closest thing to a
> > current maintainer for linux-knfsd.
> >
> > I have been looking through the code in the hope of using Linux on
> > our main NFS server and have been finding and fixing some problems.
> >
> > This first set of patches fixes some problems with the support
> > programs, particularly exportfs but also mountd. The patch includes
> > a CHANGES-NEILB file which lists what I have done.
> >

> Sorry for the delay. I put David's patch in knfsd 1.5. Can you send me
> a patch against 1.5?
>
> Thanks.
>

> H.J.
> ----

David's Patches were only a work-in-progress, not really ready for
serious use yet. The usage of "d_path" in nfsd_netlink_notify is all
wrong for a start.
I have mailed David privately about this and he plans to tidy it up
soonish, but until then, I don't think the mountd changes in 1.5
should be used, so I won't be making a patch against them.

If you want to read more about our thoughts on the direction for this
patch, I have an archive of interesting knfsd related stuff (from
various lists and private) under
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~neilb/oss/knfsd/

NeilBrown