Re: NetGear troubles

George Bonser (grep@shorelink.com)
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 13:01:56 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 3 Apr 1999, Matthew Vanecek wrote:

> Use the driver that NetGear sends with it's cards, assuming it's a new
> card. If you bought the card recently, NetGear includes a tulip.c on
> it's driver disk in the 'Linux' directory. cp that to
> linux/drivers/net/tulip.c, replacing the one that comes with the kernel.
> Select the DEC Tulip driver as usual, and recompile the kernel.

I have never had any luck with that driver. The problems with it seem to
vary from one type of motherboard to another. I think I have the v90Q
driver on one machine at work. What I had to do there was send a couple of
pings immediately after I ifconfig the interface up. If the interface sat
unused for more than a few seconds after ifconfig, it would not work. So
my network startup script on that machine now sends ping -c 2 192.168.50.1
>/dev/null and THAT machine works.

In any case, I have not been lucky enough to have ANY machine where the
supplied driver works. I will drag the v90Q driver over there and see if
that will fix it.