Re: -j zImage (locales)

jens@pinguin.conetix.de
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 21:52:35 +0200

On Sun, Oct 18, 1998 at 11:29:54AM +0100, Ragnar Hojland Espinosa wrote:

> Okay, personal opinion:

OK, another one:

>> This is a glibc message. glibc uses locales for those.
> Locales are a bad idea. Locales in error/library messages are a horrible

Why?

almost EVERY other OS does it.

(Especially the ones Linux wants to replace ...)

>>> Why these messages are not in English?
>> Why should they ?
> Dunno. Maybe Linus should start putting code and documentation written in
> .fi, others in .cz, .es, .de, etc. The point is, I cant help this guy it I
> dont know german. Or japanese, or whatever. We have a more or less common
> language. Why not stick to it?

What about adopting the OS/2 model for error messages? Like giving each
message a unique number or "ID", and printing them out as well. Like:

SYS4711: This error cannot happen. It must be your fault.

SYS4711: Dieser Fehler kann nicht auftreten. Es muss Ihre Schuld sein.

SYS4711: Dis Feler ....

I happen to like locales, although I'm quite fluent in English. There are,
after all, enough people who aren't.

--
_ciao, Jens_______________________________http://www.pinguin.conetix.de_

PS: After all, some X desktops like KDE have also been translated to 30 languages and growing ... including Esperanto and Klingon, FWIW. :)