Re: "per-process" limits (was: Showstopper list)

Paul Barton-Davis (pbd@Op.Net)
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 12:47:51 -0300

>Dean Gaudet writes:
>On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
>
>> "Per process" limits for anything under Linux are difficult to
>> envisage in a world of multi-threaded processes.
>
>Share a pointer to struct process_limits. Another level of indirection
>solves yet another problem...

Indeed. Except that I'm interested in a more general solution to the
problem of the missing kernel abstraction. Linux currently has no
notion of "a group of tasks"; such an abstraction is both useful for
process limits, and lots of other things as well.

--p