"per-process" limits (was: Showstopper list)

Paul Barton-Davis (pbd@Op.Net)
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 23:06:22 -0300

>Someone wrote:
>> I'd like to see per user as well as per process limits for kernel
>> commitment, address space commitment etc. Those are really needed
>> for "big iron" machines and Linux is moving more and more into that
>> area.

"Per process" limits for anything under Linux are difficult to
envisage in a world of multi-threaded processes. Currently, Linux has
no kernel abstraction to distinguish the kernel's notion of a task
(aka "thread") and the unix/user-level notion of a process. Limits
applied to a given task in a process (conventionally adequate for all
single-threaded processes) would not apply to other kernel threads
created using clone(). Presto, any "per process" limits are
circumvented.

Adding a kernel abstraction, such as a "group of tasks", would allow
such limits to be implemented in a sane fashion, and is flexible
enough to even allow the limits applied to groups of tasks not related
via fork()/clone().

Just another plug :)

--p