Re: Icons in scrips (Was: Implementing Meta...)

Clifford Wolf (clifford@clifford.at)
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 10:06:31 +0200 (MEST)

On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Daniel Engstrom wrote:

> On 8 Sep, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> > I would suggest that to stick with Unix "script is an executable" idea,
> > there should be some way to embed an icon in a script too, if this is
> > the path taken. Obviously most times it would not be used, just perhaps
> > by application distributors wanting their icon on the script.
>
> I don't think that would be to hard, consider this:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> #/* XPM */
> #static char * icon16_xpm[] = {
> #"16 16 3 1",
> [...]
> #/* XPM */
> #static char * icon32_xpm[] = {
> #"32 32 3 1",
> [...]
>
> /Daniel

For icons we can use this rules:

1.) The icon is stored in a special place in the file (this can be a
special ELF section or a string starting with a "magic key").

2.) A list of regular expressions (like *.jpg = icon for jpegs) which is
part of the desktop configuration.

3.) Use the 'file' command to figure out the type of file.

Implementig meta-data other than as part of a file (or useing
dot-files/direcories) is IMHO so much afford that we can say it's
impossible. AND: it will never be compleate! If we have a solution
so the copy-program works fine, and tar, gzip, ext2fs and ftp too,
we still need to modify another 10000 files, network protocolls and
filesystems ...

If the meta-data is a logo - I don't see any need to include the
compleate logo - information In the meta-data. You can add a filename
or an URL to - or a list of them (and the "viewer" takes the first one
available) ...

- clifford

Clifford Wolf
magnet - Internet at Work IRC: efnet / clifford
Director of System Development http://www.clifford.at/
e-mail: c.wolf@magnet.at email: god@clifford.at