Re: Deleted files recovery

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 10:17:03 +0200 (MEST)

DAVID BALAZIC wrote:
> I had it !
> I just lost many man pages on my system due to problem with the
> man-pages-1.21 package. ( described in a separate post )
>
> Deleted file recovery is a MUST !
>
> I know it has been discussed already, but it just hit me hard ...
>
> If there is a solution already ( except backups , I can not make a backup
> before every write to the disk ! ) , please excuse my ignorance and point
> me to the right information.
>
> How about this idea :
>
> Every file to be deleted should be moved to a special directory instead.
> ( like 'mount-point/deleted-files/' )
> This shouldn't be any slower than a normal delete.
>
> When the space is up on the disk , just delete some entries from
> the 'deleted-files/' . In any order, I don't care.
> This might induce some performance problems, but I could live with it.
> Besides , make it an option !
>
> This could be best implemented in the ext2 driver , but could be
> doable as a libc solution too. Or even as some pre_load library.
>
> Someone ? :-)

Me.

I wrote such a patch quite some time ago. Just to make everybody
whining about this shut up. Search the archives.

(cleaning the "deleted-files/" directory is a userspace problem.)

(Anybody want to clean up the patch and submit to Linus after 2.3 has
been started? ....)

Roger.

--
| The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can |R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl
| fake that, you've got it made. -- Jean Giraudoux | phone: +31-15-2137555
We write Linux device drivers for any device you may have! fax: ..-2138217