Remote fork() and Parallel Programming

mshar@vax.ipm.ac.ir
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:02:00 +0330

Thomas Heide Clausen <voop@cs.auc.dk> wrote:

>Hello all.

Hi,

>As this discussion has turned into a discussion about which
>paradigm is better/worse and how to implement them, I would like
>to point Your attention to a strictly userspace solution (even
>writen in Java) called the "Actor Foundry". A (free) distributed
>active object system, based on the "Actor" model.
>
>It - and information about it - is available from:
>
> http://osl.cs.uiuc.edu/foundry

Such systems are great for developing new applications. Object Oriented
programming is learned by nearly all programming students, so they are
familiar with the techniques. What is needed in this realm is a transparent
Remote Method Invocation mechanism, and preferably, object migration with
dynamic load balancing (I am already hearing protests :-)

However, some people (not including me) may not like the relative slowness
of Java applications.

-Kamran Karimi