Re: Remote fork() and Parallel Programming

mshar@vax.ipm.ac.ir
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:34:25 +0330

Hi,

jyelon@cs.uiuc.edu (Joshua M. Yelon) wrote:

>I would challenge you to find ANY problem that can be implemented in
>DSM, for which I can't find a better construct.

In DIPC's case, place your data in System V shared memories and treat them
exactly like global variables. You can also use System V semaphores and
messages. Write your application as if you are targeting a SMP computer
(just don't use fork(), Linux does not support a remote fork() yet). When
done, you can run the same executable code in a SMP, as well as in a cluster
(no need to modify and compile the sources a bit). To see some examples, you
can download the DIPC package from wallybox.cei.net/pub/dipc by anonymous
FTP.

If you don't like this model, then don't use it.

-Kamran Karimi