Re: SMP kernel on single-cpu machine...?

Adam Wiggins (madman@zip.com.au)
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 11:30:02 +1100 (EST)

On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, David Woodhouse wrote:

> robf@fergcons.com said:
> > CPU #0: previous IPI still not cleared after 10mS
>
> I also get these on a Tyan Tomcat II when I run it with a single CPU.
>
> I thought it was because the braindead Tyan boards don't fill in the MPC block
> properly. Is it going to be possible to put in code to check whether the second processor is actually present, if we have such a board?

I've got a tyan tomcat III and a gigabyte GA-586DX both duals, ive
run SMP kernels on both ok when they only had one cpu. On the more recent
kernels however i've had this problem when only one cpu was in (latest
2.0.30 31, and 2.1.59-62) I actually even had it on the dual when it HAD 2
cpu's, the kernel was compiled on my other box and when i compiled it on
the dual it worked fine.
In all cases cat /proc/cpuinfo showed a "phantom" 8068 cpu. For
some reason the kernel thought it had a cpu that wasnt there. Dont konw
why i've only had this with more recent kernels.
Cheers Adam