Re: Cyrix patch maintainer

Andre Derrick Balsa (andrewbalsa@usa.net)
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 02:39:13 +0100

Hi Martin,

Martin Mares wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've already included a heavily modified version of the Cyrix patch in my
> CPU detection & features code included now in the VGER CVS tree. It certainly
> needs some more work (like adding fixes for the timer problems etc.), but not
> too much. If you have any other features to include, please send them to me.

Good :-)

No new features to add, but you may want to change:

1) The NO_LOCK setting code which seems to be incorrect, as reported by
Bryan Philippe on the Linux-kernel list, and properly warn that NO_LOCK
is needed to guard against user-space attacks (security issue).

2) Add my one line change to time.c to account for the 6x86MX kernel
oops.

3) Note that the original 2.1.39 patch is almost useless without the
excellent Cyrix documentation file included with it (which also has to
be updated, BTW). I hope this file is included with the VGER CVS tree.

4) Finally, I suggest that you add a mention of the set6x86 utility
(available on sunsite.unc.edu) by Koen Gadeyne, which Cyrix users can
use to setup the ARR registers. Correctly setting the ARRs _may_ be
needed to get a stable Linux box with a Cyrix CPU; it certainly won't
hurt.

Cheers,

Andrew D. Balsa
Home Page: http://www.tux.org/~balsa