Re: Whee.. inode changed from under us. Tell Linus

James Mastros (root@jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org)
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 18:54:57 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, Nathan Bryant wrote:
> Okay, that's a lousy way of triggering it. Try this (you'll like it, I
> promise):
>
> while true; do (touch test &); (cp test test2 &); (rm test &); done
I'm doing that on 4 different VTs, 4 partitions. 2 ext2, 1 fat16, and 1
fat32.

> And you'll be rewarded with a bunch of these:
>
> Whee.. inode changed from under us. Tell Linus
> EXT2-fs warning (device 08:01): ext2_free_inode: bit already cleared for
> inode 944193
All I got was a bunch of "d_alloc: 6289 unused, pruning dcache"s, and two
thrashing drives. Linux 2.1.62-clean (OK, newest OSS/free, which loged itself
into "uninitialized" state on insmod).

> Nathan Bryant

-=- James Mastros
---
When the annals of distributed computing are written, and the name 'Bovine'
appears in there, I can say "Hey, I was a part of that, I checked .0012% of
the keyspace".
-=- Brian Wilson <wilsonb@mindspring.net>
Go to www.distributed.net before I come make you!