RE: patches from 2.0.x to 2.1.x

Brian Blackmore (bnb@looking-glass.org)
Fri, 18 Oct 1996 23:31:53 +-100

Shinanyaku wrote:
Brian Blackmore was heard saying ....

> Nir Soffer <scorpios@cs.huji.ac.il> wrote:
>
> Considering anybody going from 2.0.22 or 2.0.23 is now most likely to
> be going to 2.1.5 it would probably be better for them to download the
> full source for 2.1.5 directly.

While I don't agree on having patches that jump versions (though
perhaps a 1.2 -> 2.0 might be in order), the comment above isn't true
at all. I *have* to run a stable linux system on several boxes and
have no intention of jumping into the development series. I'm quite
happy here at 2.0.22.

But if they are jumping into the development series they will most
probably be going direct to 2.1.5 which will be 5 patches, or a later one
which will be even more. With development kernels patches being
larger than the "production" version it may even also be less bytes to get
the full source directly, it will certainly be safer.