Re: msdos fs bug? (comma in filename)

Andrew E. Mileski (aem.ott.hookup.net@ott.hookup.net)
Fri, 18 Oct 1996 18:37:52 -0400

> In article <199610172047.QAA29458@nic.ott.hookup.net>,
> Andrew E. Mileski <aem@nic.ott.hookup.net> wrote:
> >I agree (for what it's worth). I get this all time with many
> >bad characters in the name - seems the vfat system accepts
> >almost anything, yet Win95 barfs (can list it, but can't otherwise
> >open or rename it).
>
> I can't agree with this at all. I just went over to a Windows 95
> machine and created a file called "Something,Something" with the
> Windows 95 Explorer. It handles commas in the filename just fine.
> I can't say if this is true for command.com, but it is not a limitation
> of vfat on Windows 95.

Well perhaps the Win95 Explorer (or command.com) can do this,
but that wasn't the point of my message...I'm sure Win95 can
handle it's own fs :-)

The problem is that Linux VFAT allows names that Win95 doesn't.
I'd call that a bug in Linux, no matter how stupid Win95 is.

--
Andrew E. Mileski   mailto:aem@ott.hookup.net
Linux Plug-and-Play Kernel Project http://www.redhat.com/linux-info/pnp/

--SAA19195.845678011/aem.ott.hookup.net--