Linux isn't an operating system

nelson@crynwr.com
6 Mar 1996 13:47:11 GMT

Richard Stallman writes:

> There are a number of whole operating systems using the Linux kernel,
> Most of them are more or less close variants of the GNU system, so I
> recommend the term "Linux-based GNU system" for them.

Which we can call just plain ``Linux'' for short.

Richard, you can't make ``hacker'' respectable again, and you can't
change the name of Linux. I think everyone understands and
appreciates your frustration, but you may as well try to rename Unix.

-russ <nelson@crynwr.com> http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr Software | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | PGP ok
11 Grant St. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | If you value peace over freedom,
Potsdam, NY 13676 | +1 315 268 9201 FAX | you lose.