Re: mlx5 ConnectX diagnostic misc driver

From: Jason Gunthorpe
Date: Thu Oct 19 2023 - 12:51:07 EST

On Thu, Oct 19, 2023 at 09:23:46AM -0700, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Oct 2023 13:01:45 -0300 Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > Do you have a lore link?
>
> No, it was pitched at conferences:
>
> Last year's LPC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGR9ZCeiW-E
> This year's netconf / KR, but Saeed didn't have slides:
> https://netdev.bots.linux.dev/netconf/2023/index.html
>
> Really, you should be asking Saeed this, not me.

You brought it up. I was at that LPC talk, and you made it clear not
to even propose using devlink. Seems like that is what Saeed did to
me.

> > Looking at Saeed's tool capability on his github it is significantly,
> > but not exclusively supporting RDMA (ie drivers/infiniband), with some
> > features for the mlx5 VFIO drivers, mlx5 VDPA and a bunch of lowlevel
> > PCI stuff too.
> >
> > Calling it a "networking device" in the sense of "it is owned only be
> > netdev" is not accurate.
>
> Yes, let's now have a pointless augment about when a NIC is a NIC
> and when it's no longer a NIC because it has offloads.

This is not a pointless argument. How mlx5 hardware works in the many
subsystems it works with is NOT your exclusive decision to dictate
just because it has a shared networking port on the back of the card.

Lets focus on a community conensus approach between all the subsystems
please. If you have a better suggestion how to address this
cross-subsystem need then please share it.

> My point is Saeed pitched this to networking maintainers *twice*

I read that as for a devlink version, this is clearly not devlink.

> My point is Saeed pitched this to networking maintainers *twice*
> and then purposefully left us out of the CC list.
> That is absolutely unacceptable IMO, but I'd like to consult with
> others to make sure it's not just me. Please allow me some time
> to do that.

It is standard practice not to CC'd netdev for mlx5 related work
outside the scope of the netdev driver.

Jason