Re: mlx5 ConnectX diagnostic misc driver

From: Jakub Kicinski
Date: Thu Oct 19 2023 - 12:23:54 EST

On Thu, 19 Oct 2023 13:01:45 -0300 Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> Do you have a lore link?

No, it was pitched at conferences:

Last year's LPC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGR9ZCeiW-E
This year's netconf / KR, but Saeed didn't have slides:
https://netdev.bots.linux.dev/netconf/2023/index.html

Really, you should be asking Saeed this, not me.

> Looking at Saeed's tool capability on his github it is significantly,
> but not exclusively supporting RDMA (ie drivers/infiniband), with some
> features for the mlx5 VFIO drivers, mlx5 VDPA and a bunch of lowlevel
> PCI stuff too.
>
> Calling it a "networking device" in the sense of "it is owned only be
> netdev" is not accurate.

Yes, let's now have a pointless augment about when a NIC is a NIC
and when it's no longer a NIC because it has offloads.

My point is Saeed pitched this to networking maintainers *twice*
and then purposefully left us out of the CC list.
That is absolutely unacceptable IMO, but I'd like to consult with
others to make sure it's not just me. Please allow me some time
to do that.