Re: [Enable Designware XGMAC VLAN Stripping Feature 1/2] dt-bindings: net: snps,dwmac: Add description for rx-vlan-offload

From: Mario Limonciello
Date: Tue Jul 25 2023 - 09:20:12 EST

On 7/25/23 02:33, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
Hi Joe,

On Tue, Jul 25, 2023 at 6:22 AM Joe Perches <joe@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I do suggest you instead write wrapper scripts to get
the output you want rather than updating the defaults
for the script and update the process documentation
to let other people know what do to as well.

Something akin to Mario Limonciello's suggestion back in 2022:

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20220617183215.25917-1-mario.limonciello@xxxxxxx/

FTR, this is more or less what I am using to generate a script
to send out patches:

OUT=...
echo git send-email \\ > $OUT
# Add -cc
# Wrap comment inside $(: ...)
# Replace (...) in comment by [...]
# Replace ] at EOL by ) again
# Add continuation to EOL
scripts/get_maintainer.pl $* | \
tr -d \" | \
sed -e 's/^/--cc "/' \
-e 's/ (/" $(: /' \
-e 's/ (/ [/' -e 's/)/]/' \
-e 's/]$/)/' \
tee -a $OUT
echo "*[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]-*.*" >> $OUT

After generation, I edit the script to
- Replace some --cc by --to,
- Add/remove some people,
and run "source $OUT" to send the patches...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

My script is great for single subsystem patches as it gets all the right people but I've found problems whenever it crosses multiple subsystems.

Many subsystem owners want to see the whole series of patches to understand how they interact. So the group of patches needs to be treated together which would need the wrapper to look at all patches instead.