Re: vPASID capability for VF

From: Jason Gunthorpe
Date: Tue May 09 2023 - 20:59:21 EST

On Tue, May 09, 2023 at 06:31:11PM -0600, Alex Williamson wrote:

> IIRC we originally needed to enable this for a Broadcom NIC that
> stuffed device specific registers in un-architected config space. The
> capabilities we're {un}hiding are architected things that we know are
> unsupported or unsafe, the gaps, just like device specific
> capabilities, we're obliged to expose for functionality. Thanks,

I still think that if people want to do this they should wrap their
stuff in a dvsec..

If we have no choice but to inject a PASID cap for this to work then I
don't think we should quirk every device, but punish those that don't
use DVSEC/etc

So.. If PASID injection is needed then block the unmanaged space and
add quirks for devices that really need it. Otherwise leave it
alone.

Jason