RE: vPASID capability for VF

From: Tian, Kevin
Date: Tue May 09 2023 - 22:16:19 EST

We don't have a control knob to hide/unhide a specific PCI cap
today. It's hardcoded with proper virtualization policy in vfio-pci.

Following current convention once vfio-pci adds the support for the
PASID cap it will be exposed if present (for VF it's the presence in PF).

So I wonder how "if PASID injection is needed" can be decided.

If we pick the policy of default blocking the unmanaged space when
the PASID cap is exposed I'm not sure whether it will break any
existing device which already has the PASID cap and hidden registers
in the unmanaged space and can be assigned successfully today. That
legacy usage just doesn't need the PASID cap.

That uncertainty leans me toward quirking every device to use PASID,
though I dislike it.