Re: [RFC 1/1] s390/pci: expose UID checking state in sysfs

From: Niklas Schnelle
Date: Thu Jan 14 2021 - 10:07:20 EST

On 1/14/21 2:58 PM, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 02:44:53PM +0100, Christian Brauner wrote:

>>> KERNEL_ATTR_* is currently not exported in any header. After
>>> adding it to include/linuc/sysfs.h it indeed works perfectly.
>>> Adding Christian Brauner as suggested by get_maintainers for
>>> their opinion. I'm of course willing to provide a patch
>>
>> Hey Niklas et al. :)
>>
>> I think this will need input from Greg. He should be best versed in
>> sysfs attributes. The problem with KERNEL_ATTR_* to me seems that it's
>> supposed to be kernel internal. Now, that might just be a matter of
>> renaming the macro but let's see whether Greg has any better idea or
>> more questions. :)
>
> The big question is, why are you needing this?
>
> No driver or driver subsystem should EVER be messing with a "raw"
> kobject like this. Just use the existing DEVICE_* macros instead
> please.
>
> If you are using a raw kobject, please ask me how to do this properly,
> as that is something that should NEVER show up in the /sys/devices/*
> tree. Otherwise userspace tools will break.
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Hi Greg,

this is for an architecture specific but global i.e. not device bound PCI
attribute. That's why DEVICE_ATTR_* does not work. BUS_ATTR_* would work
but only if we place the attribute directly under /sys/bus/pci/new_attr.

I'm aware that this is quite unusual in fact I couldn't find anything
similar. That's why this is an RFC, with a lengthy cover letter
explaining our use case, that I sent to Bjorn to figure out where to
even place the attribute.

So I guess this is indeed me asking you how to do this properly.
That said it does not show up under /sys/devices/* only /sys/bus/pci/*.

Best regards,
Niklas