Re: [RFC 1/1] s390/pci: expose UID checking state in sysfs

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman
Date: Thu Jan 14 2021 - 10:17:52 EST

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 04:06:11PM +0100, Niklas Schnelle wrote:

> On 1/14/21 2:58 PM, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:

> >> Hey Niklas et al. :)
> >>
> >> I think this will need input from Greg. He should be best versed in
> >> sysfs attributes. The problem with KERNEL_ATTR_* to me seems that it's
> >> supposed to be kernel internal. Now, that might just be a matter of
> >> renaming the macro but let's see whether Greg has any better idea or
> >> more questions. :)
> >
> > The big question is, why are you needing this?
> >
> > No driver or driver subsystem should EVER be messing with a "raw"
> > kobject like this. Just use the existing DEVICE_* macros instead
> > please.
> >
> > If you are using a raw kobject, please ask me how to do this properly,
> > as that is something that should NEVER show up in the /sys/devices/*
> > tree. Otherwise userspace tools will break.
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > greg k-h
>
> Hi Greg,
>
> this is for an architecture specific but global i.e. not device bound PCI
> attribute. That's why DEVICE_ATTR_* does not work. BUS_ATTR_* would work
> but only if we place the attribute directly under /sys/bus/pci/new_attr.

Then you are doing something wrong :)

Where _exactly_ are you wanting to put this attribute?

> I'm aware that this is quite unusual in fact I couldn't find anything
> similar. That's why this is an RFC, with a lengthy cover letter
> explaining our use case, that I sent to Bjorn to figure out where to
> even place the attribute.
>
> So I guess this is indeed me asking you how to do this properly.
> That said it does not show up under /sys/devices/* only /sys/bus/pci/*.

Do NOT put random kobjects under a bus subsystem. If you need that,
then use BUS_ATTR_* as that is what it is there for.

Again, if you are in a driver subsystem, do not use a raw kobject.
Either something is already there for you, or what you want to do is not
correct :)

thanks,

greg k-h