Re: [RFC 1/1] s390/pci: expose UID checking state in sysfs

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman
Date: Thu Jan 14 2021 - 08:59:40 EST

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 02:44:53PM +0100, Christian Brauner wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 02:20:10PM +0100, Niklas Schnelle wrote:

> > > Ah, I missed the fact that this is a kobj_attribute, not a
> > > device_attribute. Maybe KERNEL_ATTR_RO()? Very few uses so far, but
> > > seems like it might fit?
> > >
> > > Bjorn
> > >

> > KERNEL_ATTR_* is currently not exported in any header. After
> > adding it to include/linuc/sysfs.h it indeed works perfectly.
> > Adding Christian Brauner as suggested by get_maintainers for
> > their opinion. I'm of course willing to provide a patch
>
> Hey Niklas et al. :)
>
> I think this will need input from Greg. He should be best versed in
> sysfs attributes. The problem with KERNEL_ATTR_* to me seems that it's
> supposed to be kernel internal. Now, that might just be a matter of
> renaming the macro but let's see whether Greg has any better idea or
> more questions. :)

The big question is, why are you needing this?

No driver or driver subsystem should EVER be messing with a "raw"
kobject like this. Just use the existing DEVICE_* macros instead
please.

If you are using a raw kobject, please ask me how to do this properly,
as that is something that should NEVER show up in the /sys/devices/*
tree. Otherwise userspace tools will break.

thanks,

greg k-h