Re: [RFC 1/1] s390/pci: expose UID checking state in sysfs

From: Christian Brauner
Date: Thu Jan 14 2021 - 08:45:41 EST

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 02:20:10PM +0100, Niklas Schnelle wrote:

> On 1/13/21 7:55 PM, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

> >> It's my understanding that DEVICE_ATTR_* is only for
> >> per device attributes. This one is global for the entire
> >> Z PCI. I just tried with BUS_ATTR_RO instead
> >> and that works but only if I put the attribute at
> >> /sys/bus/pci/uid_checking instead of with a zpci
> >> subfolder. This path would work for us too, we
> >> currently don't have any other global attributes
> >> that we are planning to expose but those could of
> >> course come up in the future.
> >
> > Ah, I missed the fact that this is a kobj_attribute, not a
> > device_attribute. Maybe KERNEL_ATTR_RO()? Very few uses so far, but
> > seems like it might fit?
> >
> > Bjorn
> >

> KERNEL_ATTR_* is currently not exported in any header. After
> adding it to include/linuc/sysfs.h it indeed works perfectly.
> Adding Christian Brauner as suggested by get_maintainers for
> their opinion. I'm of course willing to provide a patch

Hey Niklas et al. :)

I think this will need input from Greg. He should be best versed in
sysfs attributes. The problem with KERNEL_ATTR_* to me seems that it's
supposed to be kernel internal. Now, that might just be a matter of
renaming the macro but let's see whether Greg has any better idea or
more questions. :)

Christian