Re: GIT question - am I doing it correctly?

From: Piotr Hosowicz
Date: Mon Jan 03 2011 - 09:22:49 EST

On 03.01.2011 14:48, Michal Hocko wrote:
On Wed 29-12-10 17:23:02, Piotr Hosowicz wrote:
Hello,

Hi,

Everytime I git pull tyhe Linus' sources but before I build I apply
Peter Zijlstra's fixes, Takashi Iwai's sources and Dave Miller's
sources. The sequence is:

# the Linus' sources
git pull

# external sources
git remote add some_name git://some_URL.git

# update
git remote update

Then configure and I build. I noticed that especially Peter's
git-update very quickly, not as long as they did before.

Is my procedure correct? I am new to GIT.

What do you want to achieve? You want to build the tree that you have
added as a remote? If yes then you need to checkout a branch from that
remote

git checkout -b your_branch_name some_name/branch_you_want

then you will have a new your_branch_name which points to the tip of the
remote's branch and you can configure and make the tree.

Please note that 'git remote add&& git remote update' will just add
commits from that remote tree and it doesn't affect your local copy
anyhow.

Well, this is exactly answer to my question, but it is straghtly contrary to what Peter Zijlstra wrote me. Well, I'll build the kernel now your way.

If you are new to GIT I would strongly encourage you to read through the
following ebook: http://progit.org/book/

I'am new. Thanks for the URL.

Regards,

Piotr Hosowicz

--
- Za moich czasów to w sklepach był tylko ocet i denaturat!
- Tato, przestań, że w całym Tesco był tylko ocet i denaturat!