Re: GIT question - am I doing it correctly?

From: Michal Hocko
Date: Mon Jan 03 2011 - 08:48:14 EST

On Wed 29-12-10 17:23:02, Piotr Hosowicz wrote:
> Hello,

Hi,

> Everytime I git pull tyhe Linus' sources but before I build I apply
> Peter Zijlstra's fixes, Takashi Iwai's sources and Dave Miller's
> sources. The sequence is:
>
> # the Linus' sources
> git pull
>
> # external sources
> git remote add some_name git://some_URL.git
>
> # update
> git remote update
>
> Then configure and I build. I noticed that especially Peter's
> git-update very quickly, not as long as they did before.
>
> Is my procedure correct? I am new to GIT.

What do you want to achieve? You want to build the tree that you have
added as a remote? If yes then you need to checkout a branch from that
remote

git checkout -b your_branch_name some_name/branch_you_want

then you will have a new your_branch_name which points to the tip of the
remote's branch and you can configure and make the tree.

Please note that 'git remote add && git remote update' will just add
commits from that remote tree and it doesn't affect your local copy
anyhow.

If you are new to GIT I would strongly encourage you to read through the
following ebook: http://progit.org/book/

> Regards,
>
> Piotr Hosowicz
>
> --
> W trosce o najm?odsze pokolenie, nasi ustawodawcy winni znowelizowa?
> ustaw? o wychowaniu w trze?wo?ci i przeciwdzia?aniu alkoholizmowi tak,
> ?eby zakaza? wprowadzania na rynek gier planszowych, kt?rych celem
> jest jak najszybsze dotarcie do mety.
> NP: Peter Green Splinter Group - Turn Your Love Away
> NB: 2.6.37-rc8
> --

Michal Hocko
L3 team