Re: [git-pull -tip] x86: Addition of cpufeatures to friendly accessmiscellaneous MSRs

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Mon May 11 2009 - 15:28:29 EST

Robert Richter wrote:

Anyway, I think this was already decided. So, maybe for debugging we
should simply read the msrs with rdmsr_safe() and use the exception
handler to check if the msr is implemented. This would avoid most of
the otherwise unused cpufeature flags above.

For that use, it's probably the right thing to do.

(FWIW, I agree that dumping MSRs in userspace is the right thing to do. This is being heavily discussed on the util-linux-ng list, as far as I can tell.)

-hpa