Re: [git-pull -tip] x86: Addition of cpufeatures to friendlyaccess miscellaneous MSRs

From: Robert Richter
Date: Mon May 11 2009 - 15:02:57 EST

On 11.05.09 11:15:52, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Jaswinder Singh Rajput wrote:
>> Jaswinder Singh Rajput (15):
>> x86: Add cpufeature for Processor Name
>> x86: Add cpufeatures for Advanced Power Management
>> x86: Add cpufeature for Microcode update
>> x86: Add cpufeature for Cache MSRs
>> x86: Add cpufeature for Hard and Soft Poweron configuration
>> x86: Add cpufeature for Scaleable bus speed
>> x86: Add cpufeature for Miscellaneous Features
>> x86: Add cpufeature for Platform feature
>> x86: Add cpufeature for Hardware configuration
>> x86: Add cpufeature for System configuration
>> x86: Add cpufeature for System management mode (SMM)
>> x86: Add cpufeature for MM configuration
>> x86: Add cpufeature for Bus configuration
>> x86: Add cpufeature for performance frequency APERF/MPERF
>> x86: Add cpufeature for ancient performance monitoring
>
> Overall, I'm rather confused what the point of this is supposed to be.
> There is value to centralizing CPU knowledge, but some of these flags are
> only used in one place, and as far as I can see in several of your patches
> they aren't used *at all*.
>
> If there is no in-kernel user there is absolutely no point to this.

>From the pull request subject

x86: Addition of cpufeatures to friendly access miscellaneous MSRs

I assume this is mainly done for dumping msrs for debugging
purposes. I don't want to start the discussion again if this really
should be done in kernel space. I would rather parse and decode msr
registers in userspace. MSR tables could be easily implemented there.

Anyway, I think this was already decided. So, maybe for debugging we
should simply read the msrs with rdmsr_safe() and use the exception
handler to check if the msr is implemented. This would avoid most of
the otherwise unused cpufeature flags above.

-Robert

--
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Operating System Research Center