Re: [patch] aio: remove aio-max-nr and instead use the memlock rlimitto limit the number of pages pinned for the aio completion ring

From: Eric Dumazet
Date: Wed Mar 11 2009 - 22:41:49 EST

Eric Dumazet a écrit :
> Jeff Moyer a écrit :
>> Avi Kivity <avi@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> Is it not possible to get rid of the pinning entirely? Pinning
>>> interferes with page migration which is important for NUMA, among
>>> other issues.
>> aio_complete is called from interrupt handlers, so can't block faulting
>> in a page. Zach mentions there is a possibility of handing completions
>> off to a kernel thread, with all of the performance worries and extra
>> bookkeeping that go along with such a scheme (to help frame my concerns,
>> I often get lambasted over .5% performance regressions).
>
> This aio_completion from interrupt handlers keep us from using SLAB_DESTROY_BY_RCU
> instead of call_rcu() for "struct file" freeing.
>
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/12/17/364
>
> I would love if we could get rid of this mess...

Speaking of that, I tried to take a look at this aio stuff and have one question.

Assuming that __fput() cannot be called from interrupt context.
-> fput() should not be called from interrupt context as well.

How comes we call fput(req->ki_eventfd) from really_put_req()
from interrupt context ?

If user program closes eventfd, then inflight AIO requests can trigger
a bug.