Re: [patch] aio: remove aio-max-nr and instead use the memlock rlimitto limit the number of pages pinned for the aio completion ring

From: Eric Dumazet
Date: Wed Mar 11 2009 - 23:11:43 EST

Eric Dumazet a écrit :
>> Jeff Moyer a écrit :

>>> aio_complete is called from interrupt handlers, so can't block faulting
>>> in a page. Zach mentions there is a possibility of handing completions
>>> off to a kernel thread, with all of the performance worries and extra
>>> bookkeeping that go along with such a scheme (to help frame my concerns,
>>> I often get lambasted over .5% performance regressions).
>> This aio_completion from interrupt handlers keep us from using SLAB_DESTROY_BY_RCU
>> instead of call_rcu() for "struct file" freeing.
>>
>> http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/12/17/364
>>
>> I would love if we could get rid of this mess...
>
> Speaking of that, I tried to take a look at this aio stuff and have one question.
>
> Assuming that __fput() cannot be called from interrupt context.
> -> fput() should not be called from interrupt context as well.
>
> How comes we call fput(req->ki_eventfd) from really_put_req()
> from interrupt context ?
>
> If user program closes eventfd, then inflight AIO requests can trigger
> a bug.

Path could be :

1) fput() changes so that calling it from interrupt context is possible
(Using a working queue to make sure __fput() is called from process context)

2) Changes aio to use fput() as is (and zap its internal work_queue and aio_fput_routine() stuff)

3) Once atomic_long_dec_and_test(&filp->f_count) only performed in fput(),
SLAB_DESTROY_BY_RCU for "struct file" get back :)