Re: [patch v3] splice: fix race with page invalidation

From: Miklos Szeredi
Date: Wed Jul 30 2008 - 17:46:32 EST

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> >
> > Huh? I did exactly that, and that patch got NAK'ed by you and Nick:
>
> Umm. That was during the late -rc sequence (what, -rc8?) where I wanted a
> minimal "let's fix it". Not that anybody then apparently cared, which is
> probably just as well.
>
> Then you did NOTHING AT ALL about it, now the merge window is over, and
> you complain again, with what looks like basically the same patch that was
> already rejected earlier.
>
> Hellooo..

You are being unfair: after having talked it over with Nick I
resubmitted this patch (not the same), which was added to -mm and
nobody complained then. Then it got thrown out of -mm during the merge
window because of a conflict, and then now I got around to
resubmitting it again.

But you're the boss, if you don't like it it won't go in. I'll have a
look at the "don't clear PG_uptodate" solution again and see if we can
get an agreement there.

Miklos